Friday, May 1, 2015

“Delivering Bad New Tactfully and effectively”


Having to approach an employee in regards to their job performance is never easy when you are a manager, especially when the news is bad news. After reviewing this case study on “Delivering Bad New Tactfully and effectively” my approach to this employee would be to request a meeting to discuss the complaints that have been made against them.  During this particular meeting I would make it known to this employee that I have received several complaints from customers and co-workers in a very warm and inviting voice. I want to make the employee feel comfortable and relaxed while in this meeting as we discuss this important matter.
Explain how you would approach this employee.
I would get straight to the point with this employee making them aware that we are here to discuss his or her work performance lately. However, I would not make mention of those that actually made the complaints against this particular employee. By this approach it will assure the employee that we are only here to discuss their performance only. Then I would go into the facts in relation to the complaints regarding the confrontational behavior that has cause such a hostile work environment for the department. I would make it known at this point that if there are not improvements then you are subject to dismissal.
Anticipate the employee’s response
When discussing an employee performance and behavior issues can sometimes cause an employee to get upset and become hostile. Assertive communication behavior gives others a chance, which is a good idea when a relationship is important to you” (Abigail & Cahn, 2011, p. 57). With this being said, I would not make light of the situation, I would be on alert of some type of anticipation of this employee possibly become confrontational, I will try my best to make the atmosphere less unpleasant as possible. However, would be as honest as well as optimistic within my communication with this employee.  By recognizing the different dynamics occurring at each stage of a conflict, one can appreciate that the strategies and tactics for participants and interveners differ depending on the phase of the conflict (2003, September). I myself would remain focused on the facts in which I was given, while still respecting the employee’s right to disagree with the facts given. On the other hand I would not be forceful towards the employee to make them be compliant. I will allow the employee to ask question and will give them to time to answer the questions. Moreover, to defuse the situation, I will give the employee time to take in all what has been said during this meeting.

Analyze which conflict resolution techniques you would use.
Know that the possible of dismissal will only upset the employee; I would therefore keep clam with the same tone, that I used from the very start of the meeting. Giving the employee and opportunity to express his or her own emotions; I would not verbally lead on as if it is the employee’s fault, however, I would make known that the issue must be resolved.

Instead of using a linear model of communication, endorsing the goals of only one side of the conflict, I will use of the transactional model of communication which offers a positive approach to resolve the conflict (Abigail & Cahn, 2011). Being that using more of a collaboration and compromise as examples of communication style can possible lead to what is consider a more productive and positive outcome of all parties involved. However through my effective communication, I will encourage a change in this particular employee behavior, consequently with him keeping his job and giving the best outcome for all parties involved. 

Reference:

Abigail, A., & Cahn, D.. (2011). Managing conflict through communication (4th ed.). Boston: Pearson Education, Inc.

Beyond Intractability. (2003, September). Conflict Stages. Retrieved from http://www.beyondintractability.org/essay/conflict_stages/




1 comment:

  1. Teresa Warren’s blog is FRESH. Her colors and the layout of her page are spot on. Teresa writes very well. She has clearly identified her purpose and scope so that she can write about many things under the umbrella of communications.
    Teresa’s headlines are interesting and her posts are very engaging. If there were a suggestion, I would think the fresh look of her page requires a sans serif font for her posts and her fonts should be consistent among all blog posts.
    I enjoyed reading Teresa’s posts very much!

    ReplyDelete